The DCF supports projects that have a lasting, positive impact on the population or region served by the applicant organization. The DCF defines capital as “construction, major renovation or repair of buildings and/or the purchase of land.” Capital grants typically range from $5,000 to $20,000, with a maximum award of $25,000. Only 501(c)3 nonprofit organizations within the State of Delaware and those outside the state that benefit Delawareans are eligible to apply.
Funding for Grants
Funding for capital grants is provided primarily through the State of Delaware Fund, which was created in 1989 with a $2 million appropriation from the Delaware General Assembly. Additional funding for capital grants is provided by the Foundation’s unrestricted and field-of-interest funds.
The Review Process
- DCF staff evaluates all completed application forms for conformity with the Foundation’s grant-making guidelines. Only qualified proposals are presented to the Grants Committee for consideration.
- The committee selects candidates for further evaluation and schedules site visits to some or all finalists.
- Each applicant organization is notified approximately 60 days following the application deadline about the status of its proposal, and if a finalist, whether a site visit will be conducted.
- The committee recommends a slate of grants for approval by the Board of Directors.
- Following Board action, the staff notifies all finalists, whether or not they received a grant.
If You Receive a DCF Grant
- You are requested to distribute a news release announcing the grant and describing the project to be carried out with DCF funding.
- You are required to submit a summary of grant-related activities at the end of the grant year.
- Capital grant recipients must wait for the completion of two capital grant-making cycles before applying for another capital grant. For example, if an organization received a capital grant in 2016, it will be eligible to re-apply for another capital grant in 2019. However, multi-year capital campaigns can be funded only once by the DCF.
If You Do Not Receive a DCF Grant
Applicants for capital grants may apply the following year.
What We Support
The Foundation supports organizations and programs throughout the State of Delaware that address a wide range of community needs, including, but not limited to, health and human services, the arts, humanities and culture, the environment, animal welfare, housing and community development.
What We Don’t Support
- Non-501(c)3 nonprofit organizations
- Purchase of office equipment, furniture or electronics
- Sports clubs, leagues or facilities
- Educational institutions
- Purchase of vehicles (i.e. mobile machines that transport people or cargo)
- Religious organizations for sectarian purposes (However, projects that serve the entire community, regardless of religious affiliation, are eligible for support.)
- Annual fundraising campaigns or general operating expenses
- Projects completed before June of the current year
- Special events
- Debt reduction
Grant proposals must be submitted using the online DCF application form. One application per organization will be accepted. Other proposal formats will not be accepted.
Schedule for Capital Grants
Grant application submission deadline is listed on the online grant application home page. Grants are approved by the Board of Directors within three months of the application deadline.
For Further Information
Contact Sarah Grunewald, Vice President for Community Impact, at 302.504.5267.