Delaware COVID-19 Strategic Response Fund
Community Needs Grants Program: May 2021 Grant Opportunity
Application opens Wed., May 12 – Deadline: June 9, 5p.m.
Sample Application (for reference only – must apply online)
In May 2021, the Delaware COVID-19 Strategic Response Fund’s Community Needs Grants program will provide an opportunity for Delaware nonprofits to apply for general operating grants. The Fund is committed to keeping organizations strong and helping to them keep going, as they “return to normal” or embrace a “new normal,” as the effects of pandemic are ongoing.
This will be the focus of this current round; future rounds may have a different purpose based on the evolving needs of the community.
These grants will be flexible and will allow organizations to use funds as needed to continue to operate in the midst of the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. Our goal is to fund a mix of organizations in communities across Delaware and to support organizations working in a range of fields addressing an array of challenges. Each successful applicant is eligible for a grant of $10,000 per organization in this round.
- In 2020, the organization must have had an operating budget for the fiscal (or calendar) year of at least $25,000, but not more than $750,000.
- Organizations must be actively providing services.
- Must be a 501(c)(3) public charity in good standing.
- 100% of the requested amount must benefit Delaware communities.
- Organizations are not eligible to apply this round if they received a general operating grant in the March 2021 round.
- Organizations are eligible to apply if they received funding previously from the Delaware COVID-19 Strategic Response Fund (March 2020 – September 2020).
Grants will be awarded to eligible nonprofit organizations on a competitive basis. Applicants must provide a succinct and compelling response to the following:
- Demonstrate a revenue loss, by comparing revenue from your most recently completed fiscal (or calendar) year with revenue from the prior fiscal (or calendar) year.
- To support the request, applicants will be asked to submit a Statement of Revenue page of its 990 Part VIII for each year.
- For organizations that do not file 990s or do not have a completed 990 for each year, accounting records showing the Board-approved budget and actuals will be accepted.
- For organizations that have only completed one fiscal year, accounting records showing the most recent or current Board-approved budget and actuals will be accepted.
- How did COVID-19 contribute to this revenue loss?
- What is the measurable impact your organization is providing to the community, especially for communities disproportionately impacted by COVID-19, which will be supported by this grant?
- Describe the intended use of the requested operating grant.
In awarding grants, priority consideration will be given to:
- Smaller nonprofits.
- Organizations with a Board of Directors that represents the diversity and demographics of the clients and community served.
The following types of nonprofit organizations are not eligible for this program:
- Sports Clubs, leagues, or facilities
- Public or tuition-based educational institutions
- Fundraising entities for programs and organizations that are primarily supported through government funding, e.g., schools, parks, libraries
- Religious organizations for their sectarian purposes (However, projects that serve the entire community, regardless of religious affiliation, are eligible for support.)
DANA, the Delaware Alliance for Nonprofit Advancement, is offering free technical assistance for this Grant Program. Click here and a DANA specialist will reach out to assist you. Please note because the specialist may need to speak with you, have time to provide the assistance, and send back to you with explanations – please plan for a few days for a completion of the assistance.