Support your favorite Delaware State Park by giving to its fund at the DCF. All gifts support the park or program you designate. For information about different ways to support Delaware State Parks, including through planned giving, contact us.
Auburn Valley State Park provides the history of the Marshall Family, Yorklyn’s rich industrial history, and revitalization of this site. Previously known as Auburn Heights Preserve, Auburn Valley State Park features new hiking and paved biking trails, the historic Marshall Mansion completed in 1897, the Marshall Steam Museum, the Auburn Valley 1/8-scale railroad, and much more. Tom and Ruth Marshall donated the Auburn Valley estate to Delaware State Parks.
A DuPont family estate preserved as an urban oasis for recreation and nature study, Bellevue State Park offers users a glimpse into the elite leisure class of the Gilded Age. Visitors can escape into the DuPont’s tranquil life of leisure while visiting Bellevue Hall, the tennis and equestrian facilities, natural areas, the pond and race track.
Brandywine Creek State Park is divided by grey stone walls that were built of local stone in the late 1800s, when the property was a dairy farm owned by the DuPont family. Three nature preserves are located within the park, including: Tulip Tree Woods, a majestic stand of 190-year-old tulip poplar, and Freshwater Marsh, the first nature preserve in Delaware.
Woodlawn Trustees has established the new $2.2 million Brandywine Creek Woodlawn Fund at the Delaware Community Foundation to support maintenance and affordable outdoor activities at Brandywine Creek State Park. As a steward of the land, Woodlawn Trustees strives to find the balance between development and preservation of Delaware’s natural beauty.
In the heart of historic Brandywine Park, the Association of Zoos and Aquariums accredited Brandywine Zoo fosters connections in support of wildlife conservation through up-close, interactive visitor experiences with exotic and endangered animals.
Visitors experience the park’s recreational opportunities from the fishing pier to Gordons Pond by fishing, hiking, paddling, swimming, and surfing along the bay and ocean coast. The park’s natural and cultural landscapes can be viewed at many overlooks in the park and military history comes to life at the Fort Miles Museum and Historic Area.
This fund is named in honor of former State Park Director Charles “Chazz” Salkin and his wife Susan to support Delaware State Parks collection of contemporary folk art that is currently housed at the Blue Ball Barn and other locations throughout the state.
Donations into the fund allow Delaware State Parks to provide monitoring for conservation easements which serve as a key land protection tool. This includes inspections, enforcement, and mapping.
Six miles of ocean and bay shoreline and the dynamic Indian River Inlet provide a framework for understanding the natural history and maritime heritage. A hike over the Indian River Inlet Bridge and along the coastline provide sweeping vistas of the Inland Bays and Atlantic Ocean. The Indian River Life-Saving Station provides programs on the maritime heritage, the role of surf men, and the heroic rescues they performed.
The Flint Woods Nature Preserve protects over 40 acres of mature Piedmont hardwood forest. The Preserve contains a Golden Saxifrage Forested Seep Community, of which there are fewer than six known to occur in the state. It serves as an anchor, along with Brandywine Creek State Park to the south, for more than 2,000 acres of protected lands (including 1100 acres of Conservation Easements and private Nature Preserves) creating a corridor between Brandywine Creek State Park and open space in Pennsylvania’s portion of the Brandywine Creek watershed. Six first order streams that ultimately flow to Brandywine Creek originate on the Flint Woods Nature Preserve. Two of these flow northward into Pennsylvania.
At 236 acres, the Anne McClements Woods Track of the Fork Branch Nature Preserve is the largest nature preserve in a municipality in the state of Delaware, forested area within Dover City limits. Located in the headwaters of the St. Jones River, a large portion of the forest contains trees older than 150 years. A trailhead and 2.75 mile trail provide scenic access to the Preserve.
The State of Delaware deeded Pea Patch Island, located in the Delaware River between Delaware and New Jersey, to the U.S. government in 1813, and construction of Fort Delaware was completed around 1859.
Originally built to protect the ports of Wilmington and Philadelphia, Pea Patch Island also became a Union prison camp during the Civil War, housing up to as many as 12,595 Confederate prisoners of war at one time. Manned only briefly during World Wars I and II, the island and fort were finally abandoned and declared surplus property in 1944, when ownership was transferred back to the State of Delaware. Fort Delaware became a state park in 1951.
The Delaware River has long been a working river, and Fox Point State Park provides front row seats for watching the river at work. With the shipping channel a scant hundred yards away, the view of tugs and tankers will truly be up close and personal. Interpretive displays describe the functions of the various watercraft plying the river. The park is the northern terminus of the ninety-mile-long Coastal Heritage Greenway that stretches to Cape Henlopen State Park, and the eastern-most point of the Northern Delaware Greenway.
For more than forty years the Hollis Family have worked to build a stronger, healthier communities for Delaware children. The fund supports Delaware State Parks Children in Nature programs.
This fund was named in honor of Jim O’Neill who had a distinguished 33 year career with Delaware State Parks. The fund achieved his long-held dream of establishing an Environmental Education Fund that provides funding for overnight educational experiences for Delaware school groups.
The fund provides support for training, equipment and competition expenses for Delaware State Parks Ocean Lifeguard program at Delaware Seashore, Cape Henlopen and Fenwick Island State Parks.
The fund was created by Dogfish Head Craft Brewery to provide funding for Delaware State Parks concert series draws over 50,000 visitors annually. The goal is to fund it at a level that would provide funding in perpetuity for this classic Delaware concert series.
Trap Pond was once the site of a large freshwater wetland and still hosts the country’s northernmost natural stand of baldcypress trees. The pond was created in the late 1700s to power a sawmill used in harvesting the baldcypress. The federal government purchased the pond and surrounding farmland during the 1930s, and the Civilian Conservation Corps began to develop the area for recreation. Trap Pond became one of Delaware’s first state parks in 1951.
The land that is today known as White Clay Creek State Park includes parts of the boundary line made famous by Mason and Dixon, who began their historic survey at “a post mark’d west,” a location that lies within the park.
As overdevelopment in the northern part of the state became a matter of increasing concern in the late 1960s, the state began to purchase lands adjoining a small recreational park, which in 1975 became known as Walter S. Carpenter State Park. State land acquisitions and donations from the Du Pont family and others eventually enlarged the park to over 3,600 acres. It was renamed White Clay Creek State Park in 1995. The White Clay Creek was named a National Wild and Scenic River by the National Park Service in 2000.
Find recreation, history, education, and sports and community events right in the heart of Wilmington. Visitors experience nature and recreation in the heart of the city through Wilmington State Parks, an urban retreat along the Brandywine River that has fostered family memories and traditions for generations.
While walking the river’s edge in Brandywine Park, adjacent to the Josephine Fountain, Brandywine Zoo, Swinging Bridge, and Jasper Crane Rose Garden, it is easy to see the development of Wilmington State Parks as the recreational hub for the city of Wilmington.
A drive along Wilmington’s iconic streets provides a view of the cultural history preserved in Wilmington State Parks including the Sugar Bowl, H. Fletcher Brown Park, Rockford Park, and numerous memorials and sculptures throughout the city.