Trap Pond State Park
Trap Pond was once the site of a large freshwater wetland and still hosts the country’s northernmost natural stand of baldcypress trees. The pond was created in the late 1700s to power a sawmill used in harvesting the baldcypress. The federal government purchased the pond and surrounding farmland during the 1930s, and the Civilian Conservation Corps began to develop the area for recreation. Trap Pond became one of Delaware’s first state parks in 1951.