Why Does Local Journalism Matter?
To have a healthy democracy and a thriving community, we need an engaged and informed citizenry. By strengthening local news we help all people access important information, share ideas in constructive ways, and elevate the voices and stories of underrepresented people.
About the DCF Journalism Internship Program
Funded by the COVID-19 Strategic Response Fund, this program embeds college students as reporting interns in Delaware news outlets to focus on Black and brown communities hit hardest by the pandemic. The goals of DCF Journalism Internship Program are to:
- Increase mainstream multimedia news coverage of Southern Delaware BIPOC (black, indigenous and people of color) communities, focusing on the disproportionate impact of COVID-19 and elevating the underlying reasons, and
- Increase representation of BIPOC interns in Delaware newsrooms, building a pipeline for greater representation over the long term.
The program also facilitates collaboration among the newsrooms to generate more in-depth coverage and get the information to a larger audience, by leveraging multiple news platforms.
The participating news outlets are Delaware Public Media, Delaware State News, El Tiempo Hispano, Hoy en Delaware, The News Journal/DelawareOnline, Technical.ly Delaware and WHYY.
About the 2021 Interns
See Interns’ Work
Here are links to just a sampling of the work produced by the 2021 interns:
- Town hall focuses on underserved communities in Sussex County – Delaware State News – Xiomara Moore
- Delaware Black Chamber of Commerce seeks ways to bolster minority-owned small businesses – Delaware Public Media – Kayla Williams
- Southern Delaware students relish return to the classroom for summer enrichment – WHYY – Johnny Perez-Gonzalez
- Creative Market shines light on the Rehoboth community and developing artists – WHYY – Johnny Perez-Gonzalez
- Taking stock of ‘Rainbow Capitalism’ – Delaware Public Media – Kayla Williams
- African American Festival returns to Legislative Mall Saturday – Delaware State News – Xiomara Moore
- Wright to coach DMA basketball; Tatnall hires Nicholas – DelawareOnline – Doc Louallen
- Southern Delaware businesses slowly overcoming COVID challenges – WHYY – Johnny Perez-Gonzalez